UT Austin International Office
Website Evaluation and Redesign
Group Members: 20 Members of a Design Thinking course
Tools I Used: Google Analytics & Adobe Photoshop
Project Type: Mass Group
My Contribution: Google Analytics Analysis | Interface Designer
Project Duration: 2 Months
The International Office for the University of Texas at Austin requested the help of 20 master's students in a Design Thinking II course at the University to help redesign the website, This project was a unique opportunity for both the stakeholders and our class. The stakeholders were able to get feedback on the direction for their website redesign quickly, and our class got to experience splitting a major project into pieces owned by smaller teams to rapidly complete and piece together one wholistic deliverable.
We started this project by meeting with the International Office web development, marketing, and business teams in order to better understand the overall goals for the website redesign.
Strengthen brand recognition
Improve the overall user experience
Increase user engagement
Improve site information architecture
Design for user self-service
Responsive web page
With these goals in mind, we split into smaller teams to take on different aspects of this project quickly.
We started this project by identifying key research categories: data analysis from user feedback via surveys conducted by the stakeholders, competitive evaluation of other international school websites, running a heuristic evaluation of redesign mockups created by the stakeholder team, website analytics, testing the information architecture of the site, and surveying individuals who often answer customer support questions.
Below are the presentations made by each research team. I was on the Google Analytics team.
User Survey Data Analysis
Google Analytics Analysis
Heuristic Evaluation of Existing Designs
After each team had made their presentation to the rest of the class to share discoveries and implications of their research, we created an overview presentation to make to stakeholders during our final meeting.
From the findings in our first round of research, we split into new teams based on personal interest to focus, in-depth, on different components of the redesign.
Based on the findings from the Card Sorting and Tree Test research, our team proposed two different information architecture structures, User Based and Task Based.